Benefits of Clinical Trials
- You may get a new treatment for a disease before it is available to the public.
- It enables you to have a more active role in your health care.
- Researchers may provide you with medical care and more frequent health check-ups as part of your treatment.
- You have the opportunity to help others get better treatment for their health problems in the future.
- You may be able to get information about support groups and other resources.
Potential Downsides of Clinical Trials
- The new treatment could have potential side effects.
- The treatment may not work as intended or may not be as effective as treatments that are currently available.
- Participating in a clinical trial is a time commitment. You may be expected to stay overnight or for several days over the course of a trial.
An important note: Patients who have signed an informed consent form may leave a trial at any time.